This area of the site collects and indexes information of interest to
the diaconate community and resources for deacons. If you know have any information or
resources that you think should be added, please submit to Deacon
Deacon at Mass
- Instruction for the Deacon at Mass from the newly promulgated GIRM
- from the USCCB web site.
- What is a Permanent Deacon
- A brief description of the Order of Permanent Diaconate and the canonical
requirements for becoming a deacon.
- Admissions and Formation in the Archdiocese of Boston
- These two articles give an overview of the admissions process and
the formation program in the Archdiocese of Boston.
- Deacon Council
- Formal statement of the purpose,
mechanics of the Deacon Council;
Joe Whipple's story on the Council from the January 2003 issue of Diaconia.
- Instructions for Liturgy of the Hours
- This is an excellent resource for learning or teaching how to pray
the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Letters of Good Standing
- From time to time, Deacons of the Archdiocese of Boston may be requested to assist and/or preach at weddings, baptisms, funerals and other liturgical events outside the Archdiocese of Boston. In those cases it is required by the bishop of the diocese in which the deacon hopes to minister that a "Letter of Good Standing” be provided to him or his delegate (Vicar for Clergy, Vicar General, or Director of the Permanent Diaconate) certifying that the deacon is indeed in good standing within his own (Arch)diocese. In light of the times, certain dioceses require also a "Statement of Suitability for Ministry" which is a certification that the deacon is of good character and reputation and qualified to perform his Diaconal duties in an effective and suitable manner, and that he :
1. has never been suspended or otherwise canonically disciplined;
2. has no criminal record, nor had criminal charges brought against him;
3. has manifested no behavioral problems in the past that would indicate he might deal with minors in an inappropriate manner; .
4. has never been involved in an incident which called into question his fitness or suitability to fulfill the responsibilities and duties of his Diaconal ministry due to alcohol, substance abuse or other causes;
5. has no other particular mental or physical attribute, condition, and/or other past situation which would adversely affect his performance of Diaconal ministry.
A request to provide either or both a "Letter of Good Standing" and "Statement of Suitability" should be submitted to my office by letter or e-mail and contain the following pertinent information.
1. The day, date and time of the event
2. The names of the parties involved (bride and groom for weddings, parents and child for baptisms, etc.)
3. The complete name and address of the church or institution where the event will take place.
4. The name and address of the pastor of the parish
Requests should be submitted to my office at least four weeks in advance of the wedding or baptism (funerals will obviously be handled with greater dispatch) so as to allow adequate time for processing through the Office of the Vicar for Canonical Affairs, the Delegate for Investigations, the Office for Background Screening, and the Office of the Episcopal Vicar. When approved, you will be sent a copy of the credentials that are forwarded to the diocese and the parish or institution. If you may have any questions regarding this procedure, please do not hesitate to contact me personally by telephone or e-mail.
Deacon Patrick E. Guerrini
Director of Diaconal Life and Ministry
Asst. Director Clergy Personnel
Archdiocese of Boston Pastoral Center
66 Brooks Drive
Braintree, MA 02184
- National Directory for the Formation, Ministry and Life of permanent
Deacons in the United States
(This is the US implementation of the Vatican Directory listed below.
- Congregation for Catholic Education/Congregation
for the Clergy
- These are local copies for convenience of these important documents.
For any serious use, please refer to the
official versions on the Vatican web site.
Joint Declaration and
Basic Norms for the Formation
of Permanent Deacons
Directory for the Ministry
and Life of Permanent Deacons
Power Point presentation from the May 7, 2005 convocation is available here (13M ppt file.)
1999, the Satellite Theological Education Program (STEP) at the University
of Notre Dame STEP has served to connect pastoral ministers, religious
educators, and other Catholic adults to quality theological education
from Notre Dame through distance learning technologies. A valuable resourse
for deacons and deacon candidates.
- Deacon's Bench
- Deacon Greg Kandra is a Roman Catholic deacon serving the Diocese of Brooklyn, New York.
- Whispers in the Loggia
- Rocco Palmo One of global Catholicism's most prominent chroniclers, Rocco Palmo has held court as the "Church Whisperer" since 2004, when the pages you're reading were launched with an audience of three, grown since by nothing but word of mouth, and kept alive throughout thanks solely to reader support.
- A Concord Pastor Comments
- Austin Fleming Priest of the Archdiocese of Boston, ordained 1973, pastor in Concord since 1994
- Why I Am Catholic
- An on-line gathering of Catholics, converts, and those in discernment, addressing the most interesting question in the world. Started by Webster Bull, a recent convert from St. Mary Star of the Sea, Beverly MA in response to a friend asking him why he had become a Catholic.
Deacon Digest Magazine
- Deacon Digest magazine is published six times a year, in January, March, May, July,
September and November. It is the only magazine that is published for permanent deacons
and their families.